Børge holds a PhD and a Dr. Oecon. from Aarhus University, Denmark. His research interests fall within strategy, management, and organizational design. Børge is the lead expert in EcoMerc on Strategic Organizational Diagnosis and Design.
Børge Obel is director for the Interdisciplinary Center for Organizational Architecture, professor at Business and Social Sciences, Aarhus University, Denmark and professor at EIASM, Brussels. He teaches graduate courses in organizational design.
Børge Obel has published several books including Organizational Design: A Step-By-Step Approach, Cambridge University (jointly with Richard M. Burton and Geraldine DeSanctis), second edition 2011. He has published numerous academic papers including papers in Organization Science, ASQ and Management Science. He is co-chief editor of Journal of Organization Design. He is advisor to the Danish Government on e-infrastructure and member of the board of the national council for strategic research. He also serves on a number of company boards.
- Dr.oecon., Aarhus University, Denmark, May 1982.
- Lic.oecon. (Ph.D.), Aarhus University, Denmark, Apr 1977.
- Cand.scient.oecon. (M.Sc.), Aarhus University, Denmark, Feb 1974.
- Krak’s Blå Bog (Who’s Who in Denmark).
- Who’s Who in the World.
- Fyns Stiftstidendes Research Award, 1983.
- Decorated knight Order of Dannebrog, 1994.
- Member of the Academy of Technical Sciences, Denmark, 1995 -
- Member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences (IVA), 2003-
- January 2011: Director Interdisciplinary Center for Oragnizational Architecture, Aarhus University.
- January 2007-December 2010: Dean, Aarhus School of Business, University of Aarhus
- Nov. 2004-2006: Rector, Aarhus School of Business
- Nov 1984 – Oct. 2004: Professor in Management Science, Odense University/University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark.
- Jan 1998 – July 1998: Research Scholar, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA.
- Sep 1997- : Professor, European Institute for Advanced Studies in Management, EIASM), Brussels, Belgium
- Jan 1994-Dec 1997: Dean of the Social Science Faculty, Odense University.
- Jun 1987-Aug 1987: Visiting Professor, The Fuqua School of Business, Duke University, Durham, N.C.
- Feb 1978-Nov 1984: Associate Professor in Management Science, Odense University, Odense, Denmark.
- Aug 1976-Feb 1978: Assistant Professor in Management Science, Odense University, Odense, Denmark.
- Aug 1974-Aug 1976: Research Scholar on a grant from the Danish Social Science Research Council, Visiting Assistant Professor, Duke University, Durham, N.C. Jan 1976-Aug 1976.
- Feb 1974-Aug 1974: Assistant Professor in Mathematics, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark.
- 1972-1973: Teaching Assistant in Mathematics and Management Science, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark.
- 1972: OR Consultant at “The EDP Center for The Danish Agriculture”, Aarhus, Denmark.
Other professional activities
- On the Editorial Board of Erhvervsøkonomisk Tidsskrift, 1985-1986.
- Editor of Ledelse & Erhvervsøkonomi (The Danish Journal of Management Research), 1986-
- Associate Editor of Management Science, 1986-1995, 2003-
- Editor of Journal of Productivity Analysis, 1992-2002
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of The International Journal of Benchmarking for Quality and Technology Management 1993-2000.
- Founder and Senior executive of EcoMerc, 1980-2000
- Member of the Board of “Den Fynske Fond for Erhvervsøkonomisk Forskning”, 1987-1996.
- Member of the Board of DK-Invest (Deputy chairman 1995), 1990-1997.
- Member of the Board of DK-Invest Management A/S, 1995-1997.
- Member of the Board of DK-Invest Wholesales, 1995-1997.
- Member of the Board of Albani Breweries A/S, 1995-2000.
- Member of the Board of the Albani Foundation, 1995-
- Chairman of the Board of Representatives, Amtsspar Fyn Holding A/S, 1992-1995.
- Member of the Board, Amtssparekassen Fyn/Fiona Bank, 2000-
- Member of Organizing Committee for PARN, 1991-1993
- Member of the Board of International Advisors for the Jönkjöbing International Business School, 1993-2002
- Member of the Council for awarding industrial research scholarships, Academy of Technical Sciences, Denmark, 1991-1997.
- Member of the evaluation committee for the STATOIL Research Award 1993-
- Member of the Board of BI Management A/S, 1997-2000
- Member of the Board of Bank Invest, 1997-2004
- Deputy chairman of the Board of BI Venture 2004-
- Member of the Board of BI Asset Management A/S, 1998-2000.
- Member of the Board of BI-Holding 1999-2000.
- Member of the Board of Plus Pack A/S, 1998-
- Member of the Board of “Studieskolen” 2000-2004
- Member of the Board, EIASM, 2000-
- Member of the Editorial Board of “Ledelse i Dag”, 2000-
- Member of the Board of the Alexandra Institute, 2005-
Major committee assignments
- Computer evaluation committee, DOU, 1976-1977.
- Steering Committee for the Computing Center, DOU, 1977-1983.
- Edp advisory committee for the Ministry of Education, 1980-1986.
- Chairman of the Curriculum committee, OU, 1979-1982.
- Vicechairman, Board of the Laboratory for Energy Research, 1981.
- Department Chairman, Department of Management, 1982-1983.
- Chairman of the Faculty Council, 1985.
- Chairman of the Research Committee for the Social Science Faculty, 1989-1993.
- Chairman of the Ph.D. Curriculum Committee 1993.
- Member of Faculty Council, 1983-1991, 1994-1997.
- Member of Board of the Department of Management, 1987-1988.
- Member of the University Council, 1989-1991, 1994-1997.
- Member of the Steering committee for the Danish Computer Research Network (Ministry of Research), 1998-2003, 2006- (Chairman)
- Chairman of the IT-committee, Faculty of Social Science, 1999- 2003
- Member of numerous committees related to the merger of Odense University, HHS, and “Sydjysk Universitetscenter”, 1998 – 2003
- Member of the Board of the Department of Organization and Management, 2000 – 2004
- Section Head for the Research Section on Organization and Information/Strategic Organizational Design, 2000 – 2004
- Member of Danish Research Coordination Committee (Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation) 2006 -
- The College on Organization.
- The Danish Operations Research Society.
- Nordisk Företagsekonomisk Förening (Scandinavian Academy of Management).
- The Academy of Management.