Tim Carroll is an assistant professor of management in the Moore School of Business at the University of South Carolina. Prior to joining the faculty in 2006, Dr. Carroll was on the faculty at the Georgia Institute of Technology. He received his Ph.D. in Management from the Fuqua School of Business at Duke University in 2002.
Dr. Carroll’s research centers on issues in organization design and strategy, such as organizing for innovation, managing fast-track project teams, and the emergence of new organizational forms. His research has been published in Organization Science and Computational and Mathematical Organization Theory as well as several edited book volumes.
Dr. Carroll has taught strategy, organizational behavior, and organizational design at the undergraduate, masters, doctoral, and executive levels. He has provided consulting and executive education services to companies such as ABB, Boeing, Deutsche Bank, GE, Lafarge, Motorola, Osram, Progress Energy, Schering, Siemens, Teradata, Union Pacific, Vestas and Waffle House. Prior to receiving his PhD, Dr. Carroll consulted with McKinsey & Co., working with clients in the health care and technology industries.
- Ph.D. Management, Duke University, Durham, NC 2002
- M.B.A. Major: International Business, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM, 1996
- M.A. Latin American Studies, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM, 1996
- B.A. Philosophy, University of San Diego, San Diego, CA, 1991
- Assistant Professor of Management, Moore School of Business, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, 2006–
- Assistant Professor of Strategic Management, College of Management, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, 2002–06
- Instructor, Markets & Management Program, Duke University, Durham, NC, 1998–99
- Atlanta Competitive Advantage Conference Organizing Committee (2005–).
- Ad hoc reviewer for:
- Academy of Management annual meetings
- Academy of Management Journal
- Computational and Mathematical Organization Theory
- Journal of Strategic Management Education
- Management Science
- National Science Foundation
- Organization Science
- Invited lecture on “Organization Design and Simulation”, North American Association for Computational Social and Organization Science Summer Institute (2004).
- International Association for Business and Society Conference, co-organizer (1996).
- Georgia Tech College of Management Undergraduate Committee (2004–05).
- Georgia Tech College of Management Executive Education Steering Committee (2003–06).
- PhD Teaching Brownbag presentation on “Tips for Teaching Undergraduates” (2003).
- Georgia Tech College of Management Student Grade Appeal Hearing (2002).
- Duke University Markets and Management Steering Committee (1998-2000).
- Board of Directors, North Street Ventures, Durham, NC (2002- ).
- Academy of Management
- Southern Management Association